Character Design for Beginners (Full Online)
This virtual workshop does not only show you HOW to draw characters, but also help you transition to the Digital Art world. Learn the basic functions and features of any digital art software and start drawing on your computer, tablet, or smartphone. We will teach you the fundamentals of character drawing from sketching with shapes, creating clean line work, and maximizing your digital art software’s features for coloring and shading.
Method of Teaching
This course provides live instructor-led demonstration and discussions, student engagement and hands on exercises using Zoom, Google Classroom and ANY drawing software that has a brush library and allows LAYERS and BLENDING MODES. When necessary, students will complete exercises after-class to be submitted before the next one.
What will be covered
Drawing with Basic Shapes
Learn the fundamentals of drawing with basic shapes. Study your favorite characters and learn how they are drawn and constructed.
- Hand and Wrist Stretches
- Overview of Basic Features Found in Drawing Software
- Activity: Breaking a Character into Basic Shapes
- Drawing Exercise: Spheres, Cubes, Cylinders, and Cones
Create your own unique characters with basic shapes. Add physical details like hair, clothes, and facial features to give them their own look.
- Activity: Character Creation with Basic Shapes
- Presentation: Original Character Sketches
- Drawing with Layers
- Activity/Assignment: Line Art/Refined Sketch of Original Character
Coloring and Layers
Discover different brushes in your chosen drawing program and bring your characters to life with color.
- Color Harmonies
- Exploring Different Brushes
- Coloring with Layers
- Activity: Coloring Your Character
Shadows and Highlights
Add depth to your characters with shadows and highlights. Breathe personality into them with their own story.
- Light Source
- Blending Modes for Shadows and Highlights
- Activity: Adding Shadows and Highlights to Original Character
- Sharing: Who is your character and what is their story?
- Includes certificate of completion
- Lifetime Free Refresher (You may attend again the same course, free of charge, on a space-available basis.)
- Alumni discount
Per Session Schedule
- (Saturdays) Feb 11, 18,25, and Mar 4 - 2 Hours per Session
- Live online instructor-led demonstrations and discussions, student engagement and hands-on exercises.