Preventive and Control Measures for COVID-19 in the Training Center
(PCCI COVID-19 Health and Safety Policy)
This is health and safety policy specifically designed to prevent and control the spread of COVID-19 within the PCCI workplace and training center in accordance to IATF guidelines (Resolution No.88 /14th Dec 2020) and DOH Workplace Handbook (30th Sept 2020).
The guidelines outlined in this policy shall apply to all PCCI students, visitors, instructors and employees.
- The virus is primarily spread through respiratory DROPLETS when an infected person speaks, coughs, or sneezes.
- Transmission can also happen through contact with FOMITES that can enter the mouths, eyes or noses of people as well as surfaces up to one (1) meter away, and can survive for at least three (3) days depending on the material.
- The World Health Organization recently added AIRBORNE transmission via micro-droplet suspension as one of the modes of transmission of COVID-19. Studies reveal that airborne transmission may be possible in healthcare settings, during aerosol-generating procedures (i.e. nebulization, cardiopulmonary resuscitation, endotracheal intubation, suctioning of secretions, etc.), and in small, closed, and confined spaces with little or no ventilation.
B. SYMPTOMS AND INCUBATION Symptoms can take UP TO 14 DAYS from infection to show.
The most COMMON SYMPTOMS are:
- Fever (not necessarily high fever)
- Dry cough
- Tiredness or fatigue
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
Patients may, likewise, experience other non-specific symptoms such as sore throat, nasal congestion, headache, diarrhea, nausea and vomiting, and loss of smell (anosmia) or loss of taste (ageusia) preceding the onset of respiratory symptoms.
SEVERE SYMPTOMS include:
- Difficulty breathing or breathlessness while speaking
- Constant pain or pressure in the chest
- Paleness or cold and clammy skin
- Confusion, changes in mental state or unresponsiveness
NOTE: Some people are ASYMPTOMATIC—they do not show symptoms, but they are infected and can transmit the virus.
A. Personal Health and Wellness
All trainees, visitors, instructors and PCCI employees are highly encouraged to stay healthy by means of:
- Eating nutritious and well-cooked food;
- Drinking plenty of fluids and avoid alcoholic beverages;
- Increasing body resistance by having adequate rest and at least 8 hours of sleep;
- Exercising regularly
Note: PCCI employees and instructors will be provided referral to partner clinic in case there is a need for counseling or advise for physical or mental health concerns due to COVID-19.
B. COVID-19 HOTLINES
All trainees, visitors, instructors and PCCI employees are highly encouraged to keep up-to-date with COVID-19 related news and updates. Any queries, you may contact:
- DOH: (02) 894 – COVID (26843) or 1555 (for all subscribers)
- DOLE: 1349 ○ DTI Command Center: 0956 091 6570 (Text/Viber)
- DILG Emergency Operations Center Hotline: (02) 8876 3454 local 8881 – 8884 to monitor the implementation of COVID-19 response in LGUs
- One Hospital Command Center: (02) 885-505-00, 0915-777-7777 and 0919-977-3333
C. PERSONAL MUST DOs
- Always practice personal protective measures such as regular hand washing, wearing of face masks and face shield, physical distancing of at least 1 meter, and avoiding crowded places.
- Self isolate or just stay at home if with COVID-19 like symptoms (fever, cough, sore throat, myalgia, flu-like illness). Inform your supervisor/office immediately of your condition.
- Undergo risk exposure assessment and be subjected to contact tracing procedure if with exposure to COVID-19 suspect, probable or confirmed case, according to prescribed national guidelines set by the Department of Health and local government and workplace policies.
- Keep personal track of daily activities for easier history-taking when contact tracing is needed.
All trainees, visitors, instructors and PCCI employees are required to follow the guidelines for entering the PCCI Training Center/Facility.
- Everyone must wear face masks and face shields at all time within the PCCI vicinity. Strictly “No facemask and shield, No Entry”. People may remove only during eating/drinking or mouth/face hygiene (brushing teeth/washing face)
- Everyone must enter their contact details, temperature, time keeping in the PCCI logbook upon entry.
- Fill up the daily health symptoms questionnaire (refer to annex) and submit to the guard or designated safety officer before entry.
- Everyone must have their temperature checked and recorded. For every person with temperature > 37.5⁰C, even after a 5-minute rest, or if their response in the questionnaire needs further evaluation, person will not be allowed to enter the facility and will be recommended to have themselves checked by a healthcare professional.
- Spray alcohol/sanitizers to both hands; and disinfect shoes in provided footbaths at the entrances.
- Everyone who will be staying in the center for more than 2 hours must watch the PCCI COVID-19 Workplace Orientation/Read the Covid-19 Policy and sign for acknowledgement before being allowed to enter the vicinity (One Time only)
- Wear face masks and face shields at all time within the PCCI vicinity. Strictly “No facemask and shield, No Entry”. People may remove only during eating/drinking or mouth/face hygiene (brushing teeth/washing face)
- Avoid physical contact with others such as handshake.
- Use the designated seats/workstations to maintain physical distancing at least one(1) meter.
- Stay in your own workstations whenever possible. Limit movements between rooms/workstations.
- Double check the allowed number of people per area before entering to maintain physical distancing (e.g. bathroom – 2 at a time, reception area, 4 at a time)
- Sharing of personal items such as pens, cups et al are highly discouraged to prevent possible transmission.
- Bring your own tumblers and utensils (BYOTU), PCCI is promoting green earth and prevent possible transmission.
- Trainees, Instructors and Staff are encouraged to wash their hands frequently thru visible reminders all over the area and instruction to avoid touching their eyes, nose and mouth
A. DISINFECTION GUIDELINES
- All equipment entering the vicinity must undergo the disinfection process.
- All areas and frequently handled objects such as doorknobs and handles, shall be cleaned and disinfected regularly, at least once every (2) hours;
- All washrooms and toilets shall have sufficient clean water and soap.
- Sanitizers are made available in corridors, classrooms, pantry and all areas where everyone pass;
B. WORKPLACE SETUP
- Trainees, Instructors and Staff shall always practice physical distancing meaning at the minimum one (1) meter radius space (side, back, front) between persons. Roving officers shall always ensure physical distancing and make sure that this guideline is being followed.
- If there will be a long queue outside PCCI, lobby and front desk, Roving Officers will instill physical distancing of one meter.
- 50% of classroom capacity or maximum of 13 trainees and 1 instructor per class will be accommodated.
- Classroom tables are arranged in a 1-meter distance to maintain proper physical distancing
- Classroom layout will be designed into a unidirectional movement (with Entrance and Exit)
- Eating at the pantry is discouraged, but the training center will still allow but with physical distancing of having one (1) person per table only. Tables and Chairs shall be cleaned or disinfected after every use of the area, and before, as well as at the end of the day.
- Discouraging sharing of personal items between employees to prevent possible transmission.
- Display of signages/visual cues and reminders to practice proper hand washing and other hygiene behaviors among employees is mandatory. These include:
- Hand washing with soap and water, or use of hand disinfectants with alcohol-based sanitizers.
- Advising employees to conduct surface disinfection in their work stations before the start of the shift, intermittently during shift and at the end of the shift.
C. WORKPLACE/CLASS ARRANGEMENTS
Alternative Working and Class Schedule arrangements will be applied based on the standard guidelines. This will be communicated/approved by PCCI Management.
D. Isolation and Referral
1. If the Trainee, Instructor or Staff is suspected as having COVID-19:
- The person shall immediately proceed to the isolated holding area
- Safety Officer assists the person to the partner clinic and facilitate/monitor transfer (with the aid of the clinic) if there’s a need to transfer to the nearest hospital and possible PCR Testing. Hospital will report to the DOH for COVID-19 suspect.
- Decontamination of Classroom, Isolated Holding Area, or any areas at PCCI
- Shall be decontaminated with chlorine bleaching solution
- After decontamination, the area may be used after 24 hrs. only
- Persons present in the area with the suspect COVID-19 shall go on 14 days home quarantine with specific instructions from healthcare professionals (provided that they all undergone for a checkup) on monitoring symptoms and possible next step. If the suspect has submitted a negative result, he/she will be allowed to resume training, teaching or working at PCCI.
2. If the Trainee, Instructor or Staff is not suspected to have COVID-19: (ex., urinary infection, wound infection or any diseases not related to lungs or respiratory tract) PCCI must advise the person to take prudent measures to limit the spread of communicable diseases as follow:
- Stay at home and keep away from crowds;
- Take adequate rest and take plenty of fluids;
- Practice personal hygiene to prevent the spread of disease and
- Seek appropriate medical care if there is persistent fever, when the difficulty of breathing has stated or when he/she becomes weak.
Above guidelines may be subject to change according to IATF updated guidelines. This shall take effect immediately.